I love fruit, pretty much all kinds. Yes, if asked, “what’s your favorite food?” I’d probably just say “fruit.” If pressed for more specifics, “a berry.” My dad talks about his travels to east Asia and the delicious types of fruit only available there. I can only imagine. Being in the Pacific Northwest again provides many opportunities. Suddenly there is a bounty of fruit.
For many people, this is where canning would come in. That’s a great option, but I prefer immediate access when possible. Combining these fruits is a great way to mix the flavors, crisp, tender, sweet, tart and tangy.
Often I use lemon juice as a dressing and even add some of the zest, but there wasn’t much at hand. The next best citrus available was orange juice. I spotted the raspberry jam as well in the fridge, and thought I’d tie it together.
|Late Summer Fruit Salad|
- 4 small peaches or nectarines, pitted and cut to small pieces
- 4 small red plums, pitted and halved
- 4 small green plums, pitted and halved
- 1 small Asian Pear, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup of strawberries
- 1/4 cup of orange juice
- 1 Tablespoons raspberry jam
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Wash and prepare the fruit and combine in a large serving dish.
- Sprinkle sugar over fruit and mix.
- Stir orange juice and jam together until combined and pour over fruit.
- Chill in refrigerator before serving.